Monday, August 18, 2008

A WOW Weekend!

(I started this post right after the weekend, but am just now getting it finished!)

This has been one of those weekends where I have just felt God's presence so real each day. Let me give a recap:


Friday night:
We had a get together with our Small Group that served two purposes 1) because we all love hanging out and 2) because were saying a temporary goodbye to our very special friends Cameron and Lyn Wooten. They've only been at our church for a short time, but oh, how we've come to love them dearly. Cameron and Lyn were missionaries for 2 years and then moved back home. About a year after their return Cameron was diagnosed with leukemia. However, their story is not your normal story! They have had such a wonderful outlook on everything since day 1. They have clearly been able to see God's hand through this whole ordeal and He has gotten so much glory from it all! They have been able to share their story and touch so many lives. It's been amazing watching them live out their faith in God - truly trusting Him for their future and whole heartedly beleiving that whatever they are going through He has a purpose in it all. Such an inspiration! Although the leukemia is now in remission (praise God!) he is having to have a bone marrow transplant. Please pray for this family. He will have to be in the hospital for a solid month and will not get to see his little girl (who is 13 weeks old).


Saturday:
"Coke on the Corner" with our church - FBC WEST!! We had a blast. We stood on the corner of Harrison Bridge Road and Fairview Road and passed out free cokes to the people who were stopped at the intersection. Thankfully we all made it back alive! Each drink had a little business card on it that gave our church name, worship times and a map. It was just a neat way to live out our love for the community.

The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Gal. 5:6

It was funny to see how people reacted. We had people who willingly accepted, people who tried to give us money even though we never asked for it and people who completely ignored us. There were times we couldn't even give away a FREE coke. But the more we thought about it, the more sense it made because how many things in this life really are completely free - no strings attached. I can't think of anything - especially material things like a coke. Well, that is unless you think like one of my first graders who one time told me that he got cereal for free at the grocery store. I asked him how because you had to buy cereal. He said, "No...we got buy one, get one FREE!." Ok, that was completely a little side note, but one of my favorite stories! Anyway, the only completely free thing I can think of is our salvation in Christ. The free gift of eternal life that is for everyone who will simply take the gift - not ignore it, not try to pay for it - just receive it. Isn't that awesome?

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8

So this one man has really been on my heart. I offered him a coke and he said, "No, but I'll take the card." This was the only response I got like this, so it made me think that he must really be seraching. I know it's far fetched but I have really been praying for this man - that maybe he would find his way to our church. Sounds silly, but I also believe that God can do more than we could ever ask or imagine. It's funny how God has had this man stick out in my mind - don't really know why, but I know I can pray.


Sunday night:
This was one of those nights that I know I will have a hard time describing. It was one of those moments with God that just surpases explaining with my insignificant, human vocabulary. Our church hosted Selah in concert and it was wonderful. Chad and I almost didn't go - a free Sunday night was sounding pretty good! But, last minute he was like, "I keep hearing about that concert on WLFJ (the local Christian station). I think we should get tickets." So, I got up Saturday morning and ordered ours and boy am I glad I did. I was excited because I love any kind of music, but I wasn't super excited because I didn't know much of their music. Let me tell you, I SHOULD have been super excited! It was such an amazing concert. Their voices reminded me of a marriage. Two voices blending so well together that it seemed like one. The harmony the two lead singers made was - oh my - unmatchable. These two voices were meant to sing together!! And, no worries about me not knowing any of the songs because they sang mostly older hymns! Love them!! It is Well With My Soul (my favoite!!), Amazing Grace, Closer Walk with Thee, Be Thou My Vision, Power in the Blood, etc. It was such a wonderful time of worship. Now I love me some contemporary music, but it pains me to think the kids of now may not grow up hearing hymns, so I am all about groups that like to put a little comtemporary twist on old hymns because their messages are so powerful!! Anyway, music is one of my main ways of worhsip and this was just one of those unforgettable times - where I got to close my eyes and have tears brought to my eyes because of the wonderful lyrics of these timeless songs. Thanks Selah for sharing your gifts and your stories with our church. What a night!!

No comments: