Thursday, August 14, 2008

It's OK for grown men to cry...

OK, so I was just watching my first of the Olympics because we just got our TV set up and let me tell you what I heard. This Lochte kid just won gold for the first time on his life during the Men's 150M swim. So of course at the end of the race they are showing his family, etc. His dad was (or maybe still is) his swim coach, so naturally he has some tears of joy. The camera crew shows him and the announcers words are as follows, "There's Lochte's dad, Steve, and he's having a hard time holding it in." HEEEEELLLOOOOOO!!!! Holding it in?!?! Are you kidding me? His son just won Gold at the Olympics and you expect him to "hold it in"? That just disturbed me a little. No wonder boys/men are afraid to cry with this silly mentality. I personally don't see a thing wrong with it. It doesn't mean you are any less of a man because you shed a few tears - happy or sad! I think it makes you MORE of a man because you are willing to let others see the real you - you are being vulnerable and transparent. You aren't trying to hide your feelings and have a big ole "I'm too macho to cry" ego. Anyway, just a little pet peeve of mine. Men, if you are out there reading this, cry a little. I mean, don't go overboard and start crying at sappy, girly chic flicks, but a little outward emotion never hurt anyone - it just makes us stronger!

No comments: