Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Bittersweet...

Mom. Kristen. Me. Patiently Waiting.

Our handy dandy Welcome Home sign!


A hug two years in the making!


Caleb meeting Uncle Corey for the first time.

Taking it all in.

The fam - together again!

Corey Ross and Caleb Ross

Still bright eyed at 11:30 pm!!

Having a moment



All I can say about this night is that it was bittersweet. I'm telling you I was so excited about Corey getting off that plane I felt like I could jump out of my skin! We got there expecting him to arrive around 10 and then they told us it would be close to 12! We were so sad, but then the sweet security lady came and told us that it has been changed and that the plane would be in at 10:54. Thank goodness! So we sat around and chatted and when time got close we all went and stood right next to where he was coming out. We had our sign ready and the anticipation of the moment was killer! I stood there watching every person that came down the escalator just praying it would be him. People passing by were wondering what was going on. One plane unloaded, but he wasn't on it. Finally, the next plane started deboarding (is that even a word? oh well) and all these people came off, but no Corey. We knew it was his plane so we waited - and let me tell you, those minutes seemed like hours! I made everyone let me stand at the front because mom and dad had seen him when they went to visit, BUT I made myself stand back some because I was afraid I would see him, go right through the security doors and then get arrested - which would have made for an interesting night, but is not exactly what I had in mind. Finally he came down the stairs and I screamed "THERE HE IS!!", ran very close to the door (you can see in the pic) and gave him a hug that I've been saving for 2 whole years! Shortly after lots of hugs from family, he got to hold Caleb for the first time. It was awesome. Caleb had been asleep, but woke up to say hello to his uncle for the first time. What a precious moment!

When Corey left I had never prepared myself to say goodbye to someone for 2 years - especially someone so close, but when he returned saying welcome home was so easy! The wonderful thing about family and good friends is that even when you are apart for extended amounts of time, when you see each other again, it feels like you are were never apart. I just love this! Praise be to God for his safe return home, his experiences while he was there and all the plans that lie ahead for him. He is very, very dear to my heart and I just can't tell you what it means to have him home. Thank you also to everyone who prayed with us for him during his time there. What a mighty God we serve!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I loved looking at the pictures and hearing you relate the experience. I know you told me about seeing Corey, but the pics made it so much better!! (: Caleb is just too adorable by the way.