Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The Drifters


This past weekend, while attending a festival in my hometown's downtown, I was reminded again of why I love music so much (and food, which they also had tons of!).

After church on Sunday Chad and I went to hear The Drifters play. In case you are not familiar, The Drifters are a band from the 1950's. If you've ever heard the song "Save the last dance for me"...you've heard them. Anyway, as I was standing there listening to them I (being the people watcher that I am) happened to also take note of others standing around with me. I had a 1-2 year old in a stroller behind me clapping like she knew the song, some rather weathered women in front of me who knew every word and were ecstatic when one of the members ask the audience to come shake his hand, middle aged people who were ready to break out their dance moves at the first chance, African American people, Asian people....I think the audience was a pretty good representation of the area where the festival was located. So, as I was looking at all these different people, it occured to me (once again) how awesome music is - how melodies, harmonies and rhythm can come together to make something so beautiful that it transcends age, race and even time. It made me think how neat it was that this one "thing" could bring so many different people together and have them all enjoy it.

Then, it gave me a clearer understanding to how I should view the One who gave us the music in the first place. He wants us ALL- all ages, races, nationalities - to hear the music that He is playing in our lives. His song has transcended time. We should listen to it intently, let it sink into our heart and share it so that others can ENJOY and sing our same song.

No comments: